Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Knit One, Purl Two

Last night was my first knitting class, and I may already be an addict.

As class was starting I was near terrified. I had bought a reference book recommended by the knit shop a week earlier, and flipping through it I figured there was no way I could ever learn this stuff. I just had to keep reminding myself that I'm a very tactile learner, which is why I wanted to take a class in the first place.

The class I'm taking is a beginners class, claiming that you need never have picked up a needle before to succeed. Hey, that's me! But the other four members of the class all had more experience than me. Three had brought projects they were working one. One finished her project, a lovely hat, during the class.

But it was a fabulous class, and the teacher heaped mounds of praise on me, so I'm feeling good about things.

For now I'm just practicing knitting and purling, but next week I'm going to start my first project. I think I'm going to do a scarf... a hat seems to complex to me at the moment. One thing at a time and all. This weekend I'll go in search of a pattern and perhaps some yarn.

So be prepared come the holidays, all gifts may soon be of the knit variety.

1 Comments:

Blogger kaphine said...

There are lots of cool, free patterns on the internet. I'm very fond of knitty.com--check their archives which are sorted by garment type (hats, scarves, cardigans, pull-overs). Also, patterns aren't very necessary for scarves, but there are great new ideas out there, too.

If you have any interest in learning increases and decreases, I've got a pattern for a garter stitch, diagonal knit scarf. If you want to practice calculating gage, it's fun to knit a scarf lenghtwise to get vertical paterns without purling. I can snap some pics if you want to see examples. The scarf I knit for Dawna was in garter stitch with a very simple lace row every twenty rows. It give a kind of perforrated effect. Again, no purling.

I'm happy to be a free pattern resource.

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home