Sunday, January 01, 2006

Resolutely

I'm not one for making New Year's Resolutions. The only resolution I can even REMEMBER making, and definitely the most recent one I made, was in 2000.

The resolution: "I will not get in a car accident this year."

This resolution was spawned out of idiots running red lights in both 1998 and 1999 that resulted in major car accidents. Accident #1 totaled my 1995 Subaru Imprezza and accident #2 did about $5,000 damage to my 1996 Nissan Sentra. I am happy to say I kept that resolution.

This year I don't have resolutions, but I do have projects for 2006.

1. Learn to knit. Thanks to my in-laws I have a gift certificate to a local knitting shop, and will be signing up for classes soon. I can't even tell you WHY I want to learn to knit, but I'm looking forward to it.

2. Transfer my tapes and albums onto my computer. Thanks to my parents I have the hardware and software necessary to do this task. Now I just need to move the desktop computer out to the living room and connect it to the stereo and start in on it. I have a LOT of tapes and albums (not counting those I threw out before I knew such hardware existed for this little project), so I'm HOPING I can get this project done this year.

2a. Create myself a database of all the cover tunes I own. Maybe post it online. Because it amazes me what cool stuff I've got in my collection, and it keeps expanding. This is inspired by two things: The local radio station I generally tune into when not listening to NPR has started a new feature of playing a cover tune every night right in the middle of my drive home. Also, look at the cool covers that have been added to my collection over the last month:
My prediction is that #1 will be completed, #2 in progress and #2a begun and abandoned in 365 days, but check back and I'll let you know. And when you remind me of #2a I'll probably resurrect the project, as this is not the first time I've had this pipe dream.

Happy 2006!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannin said...

Sounds like some ambitious projects this year. There is a large group of women who gather weekly at work to knit during lunch. It seems kind of cool, but I've never had much luck with needles and yarn.

Hope you make a dent in all three!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Seen The Covers Project yet?

I'm somewhere around 4 albums into my convert tape to MP3 project, myself. Good luck. (Maybe if we raced each other....)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

While you and Joe are racing on the albums-to-MP3 project, maybe I can take inspiration from the knitting project. I used to know how, sort of, many years ago, and have been really wanting to pick it up again (especially since I met a very cool woman at school who is actually *good* at it, and makes her own sweaters and stuff).

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home